Tuesday, June 22, 2004

All things concerning 'La Rizonanza 2004'.
(If you look at the date, you will realise I'm writing this way in retrospect.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was exciting. Very exciting. The knowledge of us at Meridian Junior College (MJC) Choir having a May 19th Concert at Victoria Concert Hall (VCH) was confirmed hours after our Dec 29th 2003 concert by the teachers. Tell me about fast!

It didn't imposed on us any stress, in fact we were greatly looking forward to our inaugural concert; leaving VCH in December, knowing we'll be back in almost 5 months and a week; same place, but largely different expectation for a better, choral-centered concert! And off we were!

Planning was, more or less smooth. Mr. Pang, our male teacher-in-charge, came out with a rather accurate and foreseeable time-table of things-to-do in January. We took off to follow it religiously, but of course, things plan may not always go as planned. We had to change the time-table, lengthening some segments, shortening some, quite often, due to unforeseen disturbances such as block test and public-servant's talk. (Some how I wished we were full-time event managers..that would be fun...haha)

Planning aside, the core business at hand was our repertoire, our stock of songs. It was easy on expectations because we had a theme drawn out by our principal on what she wanted, that is to do generic oldies and/or songs with a rustic English/European feel to it. 'Tea for Two' and 'Blue Moon' stuck as our staple, yet new additions made us gleam for joy. The opera 'Trial by Jury', both male and female chorus, and new Spiritual songs were added almost at the same time. Totaling 11 songs, and 1 full length 45 mins opera. Lots to do in 5 months, but we did it...well.

Of course, due to the educational structure, people come and go aroung March. Yet, the new year 1s learnt very fast, in my opinion, faster and better than we ever expect them to; and the year 2s never stopped the momentum. It is essential, to any project that grounds are continually covered despite circumstances, and although different committees took turns to rest, we never stopped in entirety. I think, at the end of the day, good planning and hard passion brought us through, to bring out the best concert we could ever master.

It surmounted to the actual day of the performances. Good news #1 - No lessons. Good news #2 - Everything went like clockwork, so smooth. (Thank God!) I personally had an amazing opportunity to serve in logistics, ushering and security. (Plus, I got to use a wonderful toy called the Walkie Talkie...its a toy, really...Oh yeah.) Its indeed by God's grace and by His leading that I got to serve in these areas, cause in the very last minute, we realised no one was drafted to fill these positions, and I was trained in Scouts and Church for these roles. So thank God, I could fill the gap, but more than that, I made sure at every opportunity I tried to teach or share with another Year 1 what was going on and I hope they picked up. Jonathan was with me for logistics, Benjamin Kheng was also with me for logistics and security and ushering was a standard issue for the school councilors. We had good, dedicated people on the job who stood their grounds; that is another essential ingredient to a smooth event. Everyone kept in communication, keeping each station in the know over the Talkies, so every move was calculated, counter-checked and executed with exactitude and strength. (Makes us sound like some secret infiltration task force..ahaha...Only real men and women could be so decisive.)

The whole logistics, usher and security (LUS) team's main goal, was to execute our roles well enough so that the choir and the conductors need not worry about anything else besides singing and performing their best. I hoped the LUS team performed to mark, that's not for me to judge; but on reflection, the LUS team had a great time. I had a great time, planning, serving and singing on that day. Having to play dual roles was the first time for me, back and front stage, and I really learnt and grew a lot. Probably never forget that day for the rest of my life.

An event is just an event, it ends. But at the end of the day, I took back many valuable lessons; what to do, what not to do, moronic things never to repeat in life, and most importantly, new friendships. This was the event that brought the year 1 and 2 choir member's efforts together, and made it so much more precious. The times we spent will never go to waste.

I'm so proud of the 2004 year 1 batch; their full of life, most of them don't complain, and their joy rubs on people. Their a great bunch to hang out with, and you could just feel the potential when you're around them. Their not the best, but their dedication and great attitudes will far outshine any other choirs that I know of around. I'm so sure.

Another person to applaud is Mr. Pang. He will almost turn-off 100% of people he talk to on first impression, trust me. But throughout the post and pre-concert period, I grew closer to him and realise he's one of the best teacher I have ever known. Well, he planned the time-table way before anyone had even thought solidly about the concert. Not only that, he would discreetly bring people to a corner to re-primand or to praise, better than someone who doesn't care right? Give him suggestions or a report, and he will give the most direct, logically, and no-nonsense response that you can ever imagine. Better than someone that skids around the issue, beats about the bush and brings you on a wild-run right? He even paid out of his own pocket to foot the bill of the transportation truck and post-concert dinner. Even better, he was having a high fever before and during the concert, while still being there, over the Talkie, checking everything to his best knowledge. With him there during the actual concert and me on stage, I was rest assured that in the short time I was out on the Talkie, everything will still work fine because he took control while I was out. Tough exterior, soft in the inside. Like what my Pastor always says, "Thick skin, soft heart."

To say that La Risonanza 2004 was a success would be an understatement. It was, the best thing that happened to my choral singing career, and I'm sure also to many of my fellow choristers. It was more than a simple day to us, it was a life worth living. A little exaggerate to say of a simple concert you would say; but to us, it wasn't a simple concert, and it was really that good.

Somehow I thank God its over, so that now, we can look towards future projects. The year 1 batch next impending task is 2005's Singapore Youth Festival. They will do well, if they keep the momentum that we build on this year. As for me and the year 2s, which I will write about next time, to conquer 'A' levels, my dream to set up a Meridian Choir Alumni that would take other alumnus by storm, and to keep in close bond with all these wonderful friends I have met in the choir.

Till next time,
Drawoh

"Every man dies, not every man really lives."




No comments: