Wednesday, December 31, 2008

CityCare made me love kids...

This year has been both challenging and eventful. There are events and occurrences that are simply one-time memory, and some that would make a deep impact and change in your life
For the longest time, I was really irritable around children and did not feel comfortable dealing, playing with kids. I felt I was too boring and the kids would not enjoy my company...but CityCare made me love kids! 


It is one thing to tolerate, one thing to love. Was asked to help assist in the teaching of the New S.I.N.G.A.P.O.R.E.A.N curriculum early this year. Was told to lead games and boy, did i failed miserably the first few times. But gradually, with the encouragement and tips from Veron and Yuzhen, felt more comfortable and grasp the way to hold children's attention and interest. 

After a while, had the privileged to teach a few lessons. One wouldn't know how one is being received until the recipient feed backs. Towards to end of the curriculum, while walking into the school, the kids started to shout "Mr.Kuay!" It took sometime to sink in, but you realise that these kids actually like you, and misses you! Bizarre! Astounded and flabbergasted. You could see a bunch of naughty kids slowly sitting down and listening to you talk, able to reply your questions, giving you a sense of respect and expecting fun from you. It does something to your soul. It unlocks a certain unformed aspect in your inner core as a person. Now looking at kids playing along the streets, walking around, stirs that inner aspect in my life. Never thought I would find it, but I love to carry babies, walk children, play catch and bringing kids to the toilet. What happened? Love came into my life. 

I should really thank CityCare. People ask me why I fight hard for this non-profit organisation. Because I see the bigger picture, they are really changing lives, one at a time; and its worthwhile. I never expected to be recognized as the Caretayst of the Year and rewarded with an iPod Classic. We don't serve to be recognized, but thanks guys!  




Next post: What I learnt in 2008.

No comments: