Wednesday, January 14, 2009

1st breakthrough of 2009.


I never thought this day would come. 7 years ago, it was a complicated time and I left Manjusri Secondary unsure of the future, unsure of myself, dropped everything and spent a year recollecting myself. One dear thing I dropped was Scouting. Entirely. 

Fast forward to August 2008, was invited back to their bi-annual campfire. Felt a stirring to come back to it and lo and beyond, one of the boys who I helped train is now the Scout leader. Considering that he has to enroll into National Service this year, they were looking for someone who can take over the reins. The Scout troop was sustainable, with good people, yet something tells you they are not maximizing their full potential. Facing with a dwindling attendance issue and morale, I thought this would be a good challenge. 2 things in mind; have a good CCA recruitment drive this year. My time from 1997 to 2001, we averaged 12 -15 new Secondary 1 intake per year. From 2002 to 2007, it averaged 5 to 8 per year. Secondly, trained the boys in morals and character. 

Over Christmas, it was a shock to hear that the school had placed the CCA orientation/recruitment day on the 1st day of the new school term, giving the leaders and boys little time to plan, prepare and execute. We planned, I prayed, honestly with no expectations, except to try our best. 
   
Setting up the show area in the new school hall


Toh Wee, my boy 7 years ago with relics (Me included, lol!)


The whole gang!

Today I got a SMS from the teacher-in-charge, "Get ready for this. 2 dozen new scouts." We broke history, never been achieved before, 24 new Sec 1 recruits in a single recruitment drive. New recruits now number more than the whole troop! Thank God. Thanks to all the Ventures, Toh wee and the boys who put in all the hard work. They deserve every credit. 

Its funny how when we look back in time, we realise why things happen. Every setback has a reason, if we look at it in the right perspective. How time flies, oh man, has it been 7 years since I took on the Scout troop?

Now for other breakthroughs in every area. 


To Him who allows all these to happen, good or bad, only You truly understand...Now the work begins...

No comments: