Friday, January 02, 2009

First purchases of 2009.

After waking up from recuperating from this morning's lack of sleep, went out with Dad to roam the city. Decided to visit River Island as I have heard people wanting clothes and vouchers from there as presents but never had the chance to browse through its clothes myself. Randomly took some shirts to try and to my surprise, they fit me gingerly! (fitting clothes are hard to come by, considering my small frame) Taken by the Brit fashion, decor and music playing in the store, (now don't go suggest it's the colonial itch in me, but I do prefer the British touch), I went on to buy 3 shirts. Never happened before, buying more than 2 articles of clothing in any one purchase, but hey, it's 2009, first time for everything...

Now for the exciting part. I have been searching for Jewel's new album since I heard her new single, "Stronger Women" last year, but to no avail. (The album, called "Perfectly Clear", has been released since June 2008) Apparently, she has been dropped by her label Arista and hence, was void of an international release of any future albums. She has since signed on with "The Valory Music Company" (never heard of them? My point exactly.), and received only domestic circulation. Hearing that a local music store brought in U.S imports, I couldn't resist and went to get it.    
It cost S$27.95, more expensive than normal CDs in town. But its the same Jewel Kilcher with her husky voice, beautiful looks (hey, it's a bonus to like the looks of your favourite singer), and classy poetic lyrical. Hearing it through for the first time, its a CD totally in the country western style. The lyrics are more straight forward and relaxed, as compared to her previous CD, "Goodbye Alice in Wonderland," and centers around love songs, romance and introspective thoughts. Jewel has not laxed in her tune-to-lyrics dynamics and maintains an edge, in my opinion, rare in today's secular pop/country singers. "Perfectly Clear" alludes back, in its style and personality, to Jewel's first album, "Pieces of you." I'm totally bias, and I would rate this album 4 and a half stars out of five. Not for everyone and the casual listeners I would agree, sounding unattractive largely. But to a fan, this is a breathe of fresh air and comfort knowing that Jewel has kept to her roots as a roaming, experiential, guitar toting country singer at heart.

It's quite apt for Jewel to be the first CD of 2009. ("Pieces of you" was my first CD ever, when I was Primary 6, 1997) I feel that this year, I wanna go back to basics; build myself up, do the things that makes Howard Howard and Howard enjoys. Going to read from Genesis again. Going to set aside at least one day a month to take long walks and think about life. Going to spend hours wandering book stores, enjoying the smell and thrill. Going to continue to cycle and never neglect this passion again. New thing with an old twist, going to take "George" out for more night drives, discovering places of Singapore less travelled. Going to mentor my Scouts from boys to men. Going to love God more each day, and love people more in every way. Going to give to others, what my leaders gave to me when I was growing up as a student in church. Going to give more hugs this year. 

We can be so busy with work that we neglect the person doing the work. We can be so focused on the problem, that we neglect the person going through the problem. This year, I am going to be singularly focused on the person. Personal development, mind, body and spirit; and seeing and dealing with the world, one person at a time. It may mean that I disciple less people, or work with lesser groups, but its a price to pay. Jesus changed the world with 12 men. Quality for 2009, quantity after. I want to be the best I can be. 2009 will be a training, moulding year, setting a firm foundation. I want to be the best person, Son, child to my parents, Leader, co-worker, fighter, friend, encourager, example, catalyst, help that I can be, providing myself for the benefit of others, and in future, be the best boyfriend, companion, provider, husband, father, Leader, Friend, council, confidant and example I can ever be. It is going to be a life-long journey, and it gets serious in 2009. No more fooling around, no more wasting time, no more low quality, no more running wild. God got me big time in 2008, showing me grace when I do not deserve any, giving me chances when I could have been disqualified off the mission. (I feel like Benny many times over...God has a weird sense of humor.)

Let's lay it right, and the right will lay itself. 

My core verse
"And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Cor 12:9

My life-mission verse -
"And the things that you have heard from me among many witnesses, commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also." - 2 Tim 2:2

This year's theme verse

"5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers through whom you believed, as the Lord gave to each one? 6 I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase. 7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase. 8 Now he who plants and he who waters are one, and each one will receive his own reward according to his own labor. 
9 For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, you areGod’s building. 10 According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder I have laid the foundation, and another builds on it. But let each one take heed how he builds on it. 11 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 13 each one’s work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one’s work, of what sort it is. 14 If anyone’s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. 15 If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire. 
16 Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 17 If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are." - 1 Cor 3:5-17



No comments: